At NORTHLAND ELDER LAW we are committed to helping seniors and associated families obtain their guardianship. We have helped hundreds of clients obtain guardianships. Located in Liberty Missouri, we have over 30 years of experience, and provide legal services throughout Missouri. We can help you. Call us now for an experienced consultation at (816) 802-6767 or send an email to:

Guardianship & Conservatorship

When a person is unable to make decisions for themselves due to incapacity, someone else needs the legal authority from the Probate Court to take control of the person’s medical and financial affairs. This may arise due to an injury, impaired judgment, a mental or medical condition, or perhaps due to a developmental disability. 

A Guardianship grants legal authority to control and manage the incapacitated person’s medical and health decisions, including placement.

A Conservatorship grants legal authority to control and manage the incapacitated person’s assets and finances.

A Ward is the incapacitated person under guardianship and/or conservatorship.

A medical evaluation by a doctor is required to establish the incapacity but only the Probate Court may determine that a guardianship and/or conservatorship is necessary. This involves a petition filed with the Probate Court, the appointment of an attorney to represent the Ward, and a court hearing with witnesses and evidence presented.

The appointment of a guardianship and/or conservatorship by the Court may last until the death of the Ward, or until the Ward is able to prove that they have regained capacity. This sometimes happens when the incapacity was due to an injury and the Ward has recovered.

There are less restrictive alternatives to guardianship and conservatorship. These include properly executed durable financial and medical power of attorney documents.  These documents must be executed prior to the person becoming incapacitated. It is important for every individual age 18 or over to have proper power of attorney documents, to avoid the need for court ordered guardianship and conservatorship.

Contact Northland Elder Law to learn more about a legal guardianship and/or conservatorship.